- Particles are back up to speed. The main issue here is that I had been doing a Mod_PointInLeaf test for each particle in order to determine if the particle was underwater or not. This made sense before I had them properly sorted, but now it's just a slowdown. If you're curious, the way I depth-sort particles is based on the spawn point of each batch, so it's a little less accurate than individually sorting them but much faster.
- I've tweaked the menus a little bit more. The option to toggle between simple and advanced menus has been removed (you'll need to do it via the console instead) and I've added a "Special Effects Options" under "Video Options" on the simple menu which contains a selection (about 10) of the most useful options from the full advanced menus.
- I've removed the corrected lighting of ammo-boxes/etc. This one might go back in later at some point, but right now it wasn't playing nice with my new surface refresh (I had a workaround for that though), and was playing even less nice with maps that used this type of model for things other than ammo boxes. It's also not the way Quake is meant to look.
- I've removed the anti-wallhack from the server. I've said it before, but DirectQ is not meant to be used as a server. It's a client that's capable of running as a server, but you shouldn't go looking for much beyond the most basic of server features in it. If you do use it as a server, make sure that you play with your friends.
- Timers are now millisecond accurate with no drift on the host, and have been adjusted for rounding errors on the client and server side. It's quite a bit of disruption to introduce millisecond accuracy on the client and server, and right now I don't want to risk breaking things. The FPS counter is still off by one though.
Friday, January 8, 2010
Posted by mhquake at 3:59 PM