Yes, it's true. The last code change to bring the functionality level back to the old 1.8.4 level has just gone in. Everything else is just bugfixes at this stage. I think I might even go crazy and put a "Release Candidate 1" out sometime soon.
Most recent changes and fixes are:
- Subpicture drawing for cl_sbar 2 and 3 completed.
- Brush model alpha for enginetest-spirit and other maps that use alpha brushmodels without exporting a field from progs.dat fixed.
- Texture compression restored for external textures only.
- Underwater warp code tightened up slightly and made look better for values of r_waterwarptess other than 32.
- Crash bug for playing a demo for which you don't have the map fixed.
- Loading of external textures for 2D HUD and console elements tested and confirmed OK.
- Additional testing and validation of video mode changes implemented.
- Brush model alpha in non-HLSL path checked over and declared satisfactory.